Snoring is the disturbing sound we hear from our partners during sleep. It can cause sleepless nights to our sleep partner and can result to resentments and relationship strains. There are a lot of reasons why a person snores and in order to stop the snoring problem, we have to assess or delve into the primary cause of why we snore.
We have to bear in mind that snoring occurs when there is an obstruction in the airway which when we breath causes vibration where snoring is produced. These obstructions are usually caused by the too much relaxation of soft tissues of the palate and the throat area as well as the falling back of the tongue. Before we discuss ways to stop snoring, we should identify the causes why a person snores.
Age – as the person gets older, the body tissues' muscular integrity decreases, and muscles on the throat becomes narrow.
Obesity – there would be excessive fatty buildup over the neck area since it would tend to narrow the airway.
Physical Build – compared with women, men have a waiter airway since they are more likely to snore.
Physical deformities on the Upper Respiratory – nasal deviations, presence of nasal polyps can cause congestion.
Alcohol and Smoking – alcohol as well as the nicotine content of cigarette have relaxant effect on the body; soft tissues of the throat area are also affected. Furthermore, smoking causes inflammation of the upper respiratory tract membranes which lead to nasal congestion.
Medications – sedatives and other relaxants also makes the tissues especially in the throat area to overly relax. Here, it too could be a cause of snoring while sleeping.
Poor sleeping position and posture – poor posture or alignment of the body during sleep would cause kinking of the trachea or airway causing snoring, as well as lying on the back causes the tongue to fall back and obstructs the airway. With the knowledge on why we snore, let us now go to how to the ways which we can stop the snoring. Interventions may be in the form of lifestyle changes, non-invasive treatments as well as the surgical interventions.
Lifestyle – these are changes that we can adopt in order to prevent snoring and brings about good and healthy body such as reducing body weight by doing exercise, avoiding drinking alcohol and taking sedatives prior to sleep and smoking cessation.
Non-invasive remedies / anti snoring devices – simple devices used to prevent snoring
- Anti-snoring pillows – pillows that are specially designed to keep the person from snoring by helping the person sleep on his side rather than on his back, it properly aligns the body in such a way that the spine and the neck is on a straight line her prevents kinking of the neck.
- Chin straps – this is a device that is attached to the chin in order to prevent the person from opening his mouth while breathing during sleep; this prevents the tongue to fall back while sleeping and cause snoring.
- CPAP machine- this is a machine that provides a continuous positive airflow to the mouth area which clears the airway from obstruction.
- Pillar Procedure – this is a painless procedure, the doctor inserts Pillar implants over the soft palate to stiffen it and lessens the vibration of the soft palate since snoring is reduced.
- Mandibular Advidence Splint – a simple device worn over the mouth, its purpose is to move the lower jaw forward and straighten the muscles and tissues of the mouth in order to reduce the vibrations when breathing. This is a widely used device in amongst westerners and it is quite effective.
Decongestants and anti-allergies – these medical measures helps by reducing the inflammation and congestion of the upper respiratory system.
Surgical Interventions – these are invasive procedures that are used if other treatments fail. With surgery, there is a high risk of other complications however, proper diagnosis from the physician is necessary before undergoing with this kind of treatment.
- Nasal Surgery – this is done to correct physical abnormalities such as deviated septum, overgrowth of turbinate tissues which can cause snoring as well as a more severe condition called sleep apnea.
- Uvupalatopharyngoplasty – the removal of the uvula and part of the soft tissue which widens the airway and clears it from tissues that vibrates during sleep.
There are a lot of ways to eliminate snoring, but first, you have to identify the cause of the snoring problem so that correct intervention can be undertaken. Be sure to seek a physician's professional advice as well. Do not let snoring ruin your life and your family get help today.