The latest fad amongst Hollywood's rich and famous is to dedicate a special room to snoring partners called the 'snoratorium' – where the snorer can sleep and snore peacefully, without anyone in the house throwing tantrums because of the noise created.
But how many of us can afford such luxury? Moreover, it remains a debatable issue whether it is right to make a special room for the snorer encouraging him or her to continue with uninterrupted snoring, or should the snoring problems be solved for good – before this harmless problem becomes a major health issue?
The main focus for people like you and me is how to solve snoring problems. Interestingly, while millions are looking out for feasible solutions to the noisy menace, not many are successful. The point is why is it so tough to find snoring remedies?
Reasons why snoring problems never seem to get solved:
• Most people do not take snoring problems very seriously. They are not aware of the seriousness of the problem and how it can quickly snowball into a distressful sleep disorder called sleep apnea, the consequences of which may be fatal.
• People try out random remedies believing that if certain remedies work for one, it would work for them too. They are grossly mistaken.
Snoring problems: the missing link to solve the problem
The most important aspect in solving snoring problems is to address the cause of snoring. Snoring happens due to various reasons and the remedies are specifically designed to address a specific cause, as there is no universal remedy that one can turn to for help.
Why do people snore?
Why do people snore? People snore when they are forced to breathe through the mouth as the nasal passage is blocked. While breathing through the mouth during sleep, muscles and tissues of the soft palate, uvula, throat and tongue may collapse and block the air passage causing breathing distress. They may also vibrate due to the passage of air through them. The noise of vibration is called snoring.
Snoring problems: find out why the nasal passage is blocked
To find the real answer to the question 'why do people snore' and pin-point the right solution to snoring problems, you need to look at the reasons why people breathe through the mouth. Reasons are many, including:
• Obesity – not just affecting the body but also the breathing muscles
• Wrong sleeping posture (more on the back)
• Poor lifestyle choices including excess consumption of alcohol and tobacco
• Inadequate pillow height
• Cold and allergies
• Enlarged tissues within the nasal cavity
• Nasal turbinates
• Anatomical defects like deviated septum, misalignment of jaw, crooked bone at the bridge of the nose, enlarged tongue
• Nasal congestion
Snoring problems: you know you have found the solution when …
As many have realized the hard way, looking for the most viable solution to snoring problems is somewhat like looking for a needle in a haystack. To cut down on time for searching for solutions, you need to look at the possible causes of snoring and assess which of the causes could match your case.
It has to be borne in mind that snoring remedies work only when they address the cause, not otherwise. For example, if snoring is caused by obesity, the solution is to lose weight; but if it is caused by deviated septum, the solution could be in surgery to reposition the septal deviation.