There are many people all over the world who are not getting enough sleep. The National Sleep Foundation made a study and they discovered that almost 74 percent of the world's population has sleep disorders. They also presume that the root cause of the problem is due to the lifestyle that people have today.
Most people can not get enough sleep because of hectic work schedules and changes in the weather. They are getting strained than the usual. There are certain risks if a person is not getting enough sleep. They are predisposed to accidents or injuries and they have poor quality of life. Psychiatric problems like depression and anxiety can also arise. Furthermore, the functions of the body systems are compromised specifically the immune system.
In order to improve the quality of sleep, try the following.
1. Avoid consuming too much caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco. The most popular caffeine drinks are coffee, tea, and sodas which keep the mind more stimulated than some people think. Others believe that the sedative effect of alcohol can help them fall asleep, but if truth be told, the effect is just temporary. According to Dr. Gary Zammit, the director of Sleep Disorders Institute in New York, wine and alcoholic drinks are sedative. Beside, they reduce the circulating blood levels which can greatly affect the sleep pattern of a person. In addition to this is the risk associated with the regular consumption of alcohol such as abuse and dependence. This is same with tobacco too so it is important that you should refrain from consuming these products.
2. Recognize the need for cognitive behavior treatment. It enterprises of two forms of psychotherapy – cognitive and behavioral therapy. This will help you in overcoming various mental and physical problems caused by insomnia. You may see a professional and get advice regarding this kind of therapy.
3. Try to establish a sleep – conductive environment at home. Assess your room for possible sleep distractions. Ensure that your room is dark, clean, and stress-free. Also check if your room has good ventilation. It is imperative to check the room's ventilation. You can also put blankets and soft pillows made of pure cotton.
4. Avoid taking naps during daytime. It is good to have cat – naps to get energy but if you are looking for ways to get sleep at night, you should avoid sleeping during the day. It would only cause you to stay awake even late at night.
Make it a habit to exercise regularly. It is advisable to have workouts for at least 20 minutes to make your body feel stimulated. Regular exercise will not only keep you feet it will relax your body as well since you are getting enough oxygen.
6. Create and follow a bedtime schedule. You can do this by sleeping and waking up the same time everyday even on weekends. This will help you in determining how many hours of sleep do your body needs. It is a good practice and your body will get used to it in time.
7. Relax. There are several ways to unwind. You can simply have a warm bath before taking sleep. Massage is beneficial as well. This will also reduce the stress in your body.
These are some of the activities that you can follow to get quality sleep during the night. Relieving stress is really helpful to have peace of mind before sleeping. Concentrate on your sleep and think about nothing else.