Snoring affects our sleeping patterns and would actually tell us that if we snore there could be something wrong with our system in the body. Snoring is greatly caused by the constrained air passageway and could create muscle vibration. When mixed with air, this creates the sound of snoring. There are different ways to prevent snoring. There are natural methods which include diet and positions when you sleep or adjusting to medications.
In choosing anti snoring devices, there are some things to consider. Always read the labels before using anti-snoring devices and consult your dentist or a specialist if the anti-snoring device is really best for you. Consider that at some instance it might be designed as an anti-snoring gadget but it might give you discomfort in return. In this part we are going to check on the different types of anti-snoring devices that are available in the market and see what they have to offer.
1. Anti-snoring pillows – orthopedic pillows are designed in such a way to correct your sleeping positions while in bed or in any other surface that would help reduce snoring.
2. Mandibular Advanced Splint – designed by dentists and needs to be fitted with your jaw so that you will feel comfortable. The only drawback is having excess salivation and you have to wear them every time you sleep.
3. Jaw supporter – It keeps the jaw closed during sleep and it maximizes airflow and lessens obstructions.
4. CPAP (Continuous Position Airway pressure) – is a mask that you will wear either on your nose or mouth that exerts air pressure into the nostrils. One drawback is that this machine is quite bulky and may be very uncomfortable for patients wearing the mask every time they sleep. Although this will be considered as a lifetime treatment, it has shown great effectiveness in preventing snoring and sleep apnea.
5. Pillar Procedure – it is one of the most effective solutions. It does not interfere with the patients swallowing or speech and it can be done at the doctor's office using local anesthetic. It does not require any removal of tissue. Overtime the pillar procedure will act at a structural support reducing stiffness and tissue vibration that can cause snoring.
6. Breathing strips and nasal sprays – they decongest your air passageways helping you prevent snoring.
7. Customized and Fabricated mouthpiece – carefully designed by dentists, this mouthpiece is built to stop snoring and give way to air passage so that they will not be restricted.